Diaz being investigated for alleged battery after scuffle with Guida

Earlier this week, news broke out that former UFC lightweight title challenger Nate Diaz had been involved in a scuffle with Clay Guida at a Combate Americas event in Sacramento, California.

Diaz reportedly initiated physical contact against Guida, pushing the 36-year-old into a fence and busting open his lip, per Guida’s manager, John Fosco.

Guida’s friend and teammate, Tyler Diamond, says he tried to intervene and deescalate the situation but was slapped in the face by Diaz and ‘rabbit punched’ by one of the Californian’s entourage.

The Sacramento Country Sheriff’s Department is now involved and, according to MMA Fighting’s Marc Raimondi, will be investigating Diaz for alleged battery after Guida pressed charges.

“If it is found the victim was assaulted then a warrant request will be completed and submitted to the District Attorney’s office for review,” Sgt. Shaun Hampton told MMA Fighting on Tuesday.

Diaz, who lost to Guida in a lightweight matchup back in 2009, declined to comment. The Ultimate Fighter 5 winner has been rumored to fight Georges St-Pierre in a possible lightweight matchup, although the Stockton local insists he will never fight a ‘cheater’ of GSP’s caliber.

Guida, a UFC veteran of over eleven years, has been calling for a rematch with Diaz on social media, which is likely what triggered Diaz’ outburst on Friday night.

Bloody Elbow will keep you updated on the latest developments surrounding the case.

Watch free mma online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *